WHY YOU NEED AN EYE BALM IN YOUR BEAUTY ROUTINE
“Do I really need an Eye Balm?” Our eyes are protected by thin, sensitive skin. The skin around our eyes is particularly delicate. It has less fat, collagen, and sebum glands and it is approximately 10 times thinner than the skin on other areas of your face. Little wonder, you'll notice signs of aging on your eyes before other parts of your face.
YOUR EYES AND AGING
Causes of wrinkles under eyes are mainly due to frequent movements such as squinting, winking, blinking and staring at screens which can damage the collagen and elastin fibers of the skin that protects the eyes. The damage results in the appearance of signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, crepey skin and sagginess.
How can I prevent under eye wrinkles? Although aging is inevitable, there are ways to protect and prevent premature aging by incorporating healthy skincare practices. One such way of doing so is by using an eye treatment regularly. The eyes need a different composition of nutrients and moisture, so choosing a specifically formulated eye balm with potent plant based ingredients that works with the dynamic qualities of the skin not only protects but also strengthens the sensitive skin around the eyes.
EYE BALM VS EYE CREAM?
It is common for most of us to call an "eye balm" an "eye cream" and vice versa, but both products are not the same. Although eye balms and eye creams perform similar functions they have their differences.
Eye creams are made of a high percentage of water and little amounts of botanicals while eye balms contain concentrated amounts of natural skincare ingredients and little to no amount of water. Due to lack of water in eye balms (water causes spoilage), natural skincare ingredients are mostly used in their formulation.
WHY DO YOU NEED EYE BALM?
The importance of an under eye balm cannot be overemphasized. Below are some reasons why your eyes need this product.
An eye balm:
- Provides a powerful concentration of nutrients to nourish the skin
- Improves the appearance of dark circles
- Prevents moisture loss, dryness, and dehydration
- Reduces puffiness and eyebags
- Fades signs of aging such as fine lines, loose skin, and wrinkles
- Alleviates redness and irritations
- Enhances the appearance of sunken eye skin
WHAT INGREDIENTS SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN AN EYE BALM?
The following ingredients are staples in every ayurvedic eye balm that you should always look out for.
- Brahmi obtained from the Centella Asiatica plant (gotu kola) is known to reduce hyperpigmentation and boost cell regeneration.
- Manjistha obtained from the Manjistha herb is a natural depigmenting agent and free radical scavenger.
- Ashwangandha is a popular herb that helps to reduce blemishes while preventing wrinkles and fine lines.
A safe and effective product that contains the above-mentioned ingredients and more is the NAYANA Revitalizing Eye Balm.
WHO SHOULD USE AN EYE BALM?
You're never too young to start using a balm for your eyes especially if you're exposed to many environmental stressors.
But if you have the following skin concerns, you cannot afford to ignore using an eye balm.
- Dark circles, fine lines, crepiness and undereye puffiness
- Dry and dehydrated skin around the eyes
- Mature skin that is showing visible signs of aging such as under eye wrinkles
HOW TO USE AN EYE BALM?
- Cleanse your skin with a mild cleanser such as the MUHKA botanical cleanser.
- Hydrate and balance your skin's pH with a toner such as the VAYU illuminating toning mist.
- Retain moisture within your skin barrier by applying a layer of facial oil such as the PRANA face oil.
- Use your fingertips to gently apply a little quantity of the NAYANA revitalizing eye balm to your lower lids then move towards your upper orbital bone.
Pro tip: The NAYANA revitalizing eye balm can also serve as a lip balm. Apply on your fingertips and gently pat your lips.
As you may know, you cannot not reverse the signs of aging but only prevent them. By caring properly for the fragile skin around your eyes, you'll always maintain a fresh, radiant, and youthful look.